Kieran KilcawleyResearch Officer
The main focus of my research continues to be directly related to flavour in foods and beverages,with a special interest in dairy products.Some key interests involve,identification of chemical compounds responsible for sensory perception,identification of biomarkers for food authentication and traceability,flavour stability including lipid oxidation.I am actively involved in advanced gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GCMS,GCxGC,GCO),covering areas of aroma extraction,method development and validation,data processing and chemometrics
1996-2002 PhD in Food and Nutritional Sciences,University College Cork "Studies on the Biochemistry and Technology of Enzyme-Modified Cheddar Cheese"
1992-1994 BSc (Hons) Biotechnology,School of Biological Sciences,University of Westminster,London,UK
- Mannion,D.T.,Furey,A & Kilcawley,K.N (2016).Comparison and validation of 2 analytical methods for the determination of free fatty acids in dairy products by gas chromatography with flame ionization detection,Journal of Dairy Science,99,5047-5063.
- Mannion,D.T.,Furey,A & Kilcawley,K.N (2016).Free fatty acids quantification in dairy products.International Journal of Dairy Technology,69,1-12.
- O'Callaghan,T.F.,Hennessy,D,McAuliffe,S,Kilcawley,K.N,O'Donovan,M,Dillon,P.,Ross,R.P & Stanton,C (2016).Effect of pasture versus indoor feeding systems on raw milk composition and quality over an entire lactation.Journal of Dairy Science,99(12),9424-9440.
- Yarlagadda,A.B.,Wilkinson,M.G.,Ryan,S.P.,Doolan,I.A.,O'Sullivan,M.G.,& Kilcawley,K.N (2014).Utilisation of a cell-free extract of lactic acid bacteria entrapped in yeast to enhance flavour development in Cheddar cheese.International Journal of Dairy Technology,67,1,21-30.
- Rulikowska,A.,Kilcawley,K.N.,Doolan,I.A.,Alonso-Gomez,M.,Nongonierma,A.B.,Hannon,J.A & Wilkinson,M.G (2013). The impact of reduced sodium chloride content on Cheddar cheese quality.International Dairy Journal,28,2,45 - 55。
- Kilcawley,K.N.,Nongonierma,A.B.,Hannon,J.A.,Doolan,I.A & Wilkinson M.G (2012) Evaluation of commercial enzyme systems to accelerate Cheddar cheese ripening.International Dairy Journal,26,50-57.
- Hickey,D.,Kilcawley,K.N.,Beresford,T.P.,Sheehan,E.M and Wilksinson,M.G (2006). The influence of a seasonal milk supply on the biochemical and sensory properties of Cheddar cheese.International Dairy Journal,16,679-690.
- Kilcawley,K.N.,Wilkinson,M.G.and Fox,P.F.(2002).Determination of key enzyme activities in commercial peptidase and lipase preparations from microbial or animal sources.Enzyme and Microbial Technology 31: 310-320