Location:Latitude 50°07'N,Longitude 08°16'W
Area:100 ha (effective) 5 ha is nder plots and used for grass variety research
Milking Cows:300 (250 spring calving and 50 autumn calving)
Spring calving herd:Typically cows are turned out to pasture directly post-calving and annually achieve a 300-day grazing season.Twelve week calving season.
Autumn calving herd:Typically calve at grass in mid-October,graze until the start of November at which point they are housed and fed a TMR diet,they return to grass again in early spring
All male calves are sold at 2 weeks old and heifer calves are reared on an outside block.
Soil Type:Free-draining acid brown earth of sandy loam to loam in texture
Aspect:South facing,40m above sea level.
- 30 unit sequential bale parlour with automatic cow ID,automatic cluster removers,cluster cleanse,daily electronic milk weighting and sampling,in parlour feeding,milking behaviour recording,weighting and drafting facilities.
- Facility to feed multiple concentrate types in parlour
- 10 unit specialized milking unit and associated laboratories for component milking technology research
- 90 cow feed shed (Individual cow feed access points for daily dry matter intake recording – Callan Gate System)
- Metabolism house for 12 cows- facility to undertake detailed rumen nutrition studies
- Total winter cubicle housing facilities for 300 cows
- Underpass tunnel connecting the farm into one complete block
- Land area laid out to facilitate detailed grazing experimental work,all experimental area reseeded in last 7 years