There are two key elements to producing high quality milk:
- Producing milk of low somatic cell count (SCC);
- Low total bacterial count (TBC).
Low SCC is a reflection of good udder health and mastitis control in the herd.
Low TBC is an indicator of good milking plant hygiene and milk storage.
More informationabout milk quality can be found in:
- Milk Quality,Mastitis and SCC (PDF) in Chapter 31 of 亚博体育官网无法取款Teagasc Dairy Manual
- Milk Quality Handbook (PDF)
- Milk Quality and Bacterial Contamination (PDF)
The 亚博体育官网无法取款Teagasc Dairy Manual chapter 32 has further readingson Improving your Milking Skills and get more from your cows (PDF,2.7MB) and Guidelines on minimising TBC in milk (PDF).
The person responsible for milk production on the farm must be aware of all the chemicals that may leave:
- Residues in Milk in Chapter 33 of the亚博体育官网无法取款Teagasc Dairy Manual.These include detergents,disinfectants,flukicides and antibiotics.