Current projects:1) The effect of sire index (high replacement vs high terminal index) and animal genotype on the productivity of pasture-based beef production systems.2) To evaluate the effect of incorporating white clover into perennial ryegrass swards on sward production,grass utilisation,clover persistency and animal performance in pasture-based beef production systems
Purpose and Objectives
- To explore new ideas and research different system comparisons using a herd of 100 suckler cows in a finishing system on 65 Ha at 亚博体育官网无法取款Teagasc,Grange.
- To provide leadership and direction to the industry and look to the future for issues that will arise and how the national suckler herd can deal with them
- Spring-calving,suckler calf-to-beef.
- Rotational paddock grazing.
- Stocking rate: 200 kg organic N/ha.
- Fertiliser Nitrogen: ~200 kg/ha.
- 2 silage harvests – first cut fed to progeny and second cut fed to cows.
- Slaughter age: Heifers @ 20 months and Steers @ 24 months.
The primary inputs and outputs to the system will be determined.Where appropriate,the main measurements will include:
- Live weight and body condition score
- Intake of grazed grass and conserved forage (& supplementary concentrate)
- Milk yield
- Calving interval
- Slaughter and carcass traits of progeny
Sward / forage:
- Pre- & post-grazing compressed sward heights
- Pre- & post-grazing herbage mass
- Pre- & post-grazing herbage dry matter,chemical composition and nutritive value
- Herbage growth
- Farm cover
- Grass silage yield
- Grass silage nutritive value
- Annual feed budget constitution (system component basis).
- Financial performance/profitability of the breed types and systems
Future Research in Derrypatrick