System:Suckler to Weanling
Philip works off-farm full time keeping 15 suckler cows a few of which are pedigrees.He sells weanlings at six months of age and hopes to streamline his system over the coming year by tightening his calving spread.Philip uses 100% AI on the farm and views selling five star replacement heifers as a possible option for the farm.
Lime is a big issue on the farm and given the heavy nature of the soil raising the pH will be a tough challenge to tackle.Finishing more stock out of the shed is most definitely an option as getting stock out in the shoulders of the year is difficult.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Soil fertility challenge - Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K.Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Green farming challenge - incorporate clover into 20% of swards
- IFJ - 01 July 2017(PDF)