Farm Size:52.4ha- free draining
System:Suckler to weanling
Padraig farms full time running a herd of just over 50 spring calving suckler cows.Over the past number of years Padraig has predominantly sold most of his stock as weanlings in the back end of the year.Over the duration of the programme Padraig hopes to move away from the weanling system-finishing the heavier bulls under 16 months and selling high index maternal heifers.
Padraig is a big believer in milk and many of the existing cows in the herd have a dairy bloodline.He has only recently changed his breeding policy replacing his five star terminal Charolais bull with a dual purpose Limousin bull.Soil fertility will need to be addressed but this will be very much dependent on cash flow.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Soil fertility challenge - Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K.Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Green farming challenge - incorporate clover into 20% of swards
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured.All stock to meet processor specifications.
- IFJ - 01 Apr 2017(PDF)