Farm Size:41ha-Free draining loam with some peaty gley soils
System:Suckler to Weanling
Cashflow is a concern on this farm in Sligo.Runs a 40 cow split-calving suckler herd and sells weanlings in the Autumn.Works off farm and is ably assisted by his son Dillion.
Soil fertility is very poor and in particular the soil pH needs to be addressed.80 tonne of lime already spread on part of the farm.Good paddocks and infrastructure on the farm at present but not growing and utilising enough grass.
Breeding is very good-100% AI.The plan is to calf all cows in late January and Feb as facilities are excellent and it will tie in well with his job off farm.All progeny will be brought to slaughter and Glen has a good few options as the stock are of good quality.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Soil fertility challenge - Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K.Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Green farming challenge - incorporate clover into 20% of swards
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured.All stock to meet processor specifications.
- Labour/structures challenge - Labour use focus/ Drystock farm partnership focus
- IFJ - 29 Apr 2017(PDF)