Farm size:53 Ha
System:Suckler to steer finish
Brian is farming full time since he took over the home farm earlier this year.At present he farms 53ha which is in three divisions.Land is well drained and quite a bit of reseeding has taken place over the last few years.Grazing infrastructure was average at start of programme but a lot of work has taken place and a number of the larger paddocks have been reduced with permanent fences.
The plan is to increase cow numbers from 42 to 50 and continue finishing steers.He also hopes to further increase output by purchasing 30 reared calves and 30 lighter weanlings and taking them to slaughter.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Herd health challenge - Aim to reduce antibiotic input by 20% and develop herd health plan
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured.All stock to meet processor specifications
- IFJ - 29 July 2017(PDF)